Important Information About Anaphylaxis – No Peanuts/Nut Products.

This letter will be sent home with all Margaret Avenue Students this week:

September 25, 2018.

Dear Parents/Caregivers,

Once again this year, we have students attending Margaret Avenue with a severe allergy that can cause an anaphylactic reaction. An anaphylactic reaction is an allergic reaction so severe that it can cause death within minutes. These children have a severe allergy to peanuts and nut products. Because these children can react to trace amounts, inhaling or ingesting even minute amounts can trigger a life threatening reaction. We also have serious scent allergies within our building which can trigger an immediate and severe medical emergency. Treatment in both of these situations may involve an immediate drug injection (with an Epi –Pen) and an immediate trip to the hospital.

As a school community, we need to take all necessary measures to provide everyone with a safe environment. All our staff members have been made aware of students with serious medical conditions and receive specific training on anaphylaxis management every year.

We are asking you, as parents/caregivers, to make every effort to not send foods to school that contain peanuts/peanut butter, or other nut products. We also ask that students refrain from wearing perfume/cologne or other scented products when coming into the school. In a school setting, cross- contamination is the greatest risk for this type of allergy. Trace amounts of peanuts/nuts can be left on gym equipment, computer keyboards, pencils etc.

Thank you for your cooperation and support with this issue.  Student safety is our top priority we appreciate your partnership and support.

Anyone wishing further information about anaphylaxis, or if you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me at the school.

 

Sincerely,

 

Andy Lavell

Vice Principal